You’ll find Craigwell Cottage an ideal location for your stay in Edinburgh – just a block from the Royal Mile, you can park your car or arrive by train or plane and walk all over the compact city centre. Within a few minutes walk you can visit The Royal Mile, Palace of Holyroodhouse, Dynamic Earth, Scottish Parliament, climb Calton Hill or Arthur’s Seat or hop on an Edinburgh Bus Tour to orient yourself with the layout of the city. Stroll up the Royal Mile and you’ll find Edinburgh Castle at the top.
There are many websites and lots of information on the internet which tell you about the wonders of the City of Edinburgh. We’ve put together lots of ideas for you of things to do on a short break in Edinburgh.
We like Edinburgh Spotlight for reviews and up to the minute listings of things to do in Edinburgh. The List is also a good source of events and activities as well as places to eat and drink while you are staying here. We’ve also added a selection of our own ideas of Places to Eat in Edinburgh on our Pinterest Board.
To give you a taste of what you can do here we went through our visitors’ book for Craigwell Cottage to find the things our guests have been doing while staying with us – we can’t believe how far our guests can travel in a day, and how many and varied the activities are! We’ve added some articles and photographs on our Edinburgh Self-Catering Cottage blog – you’ll find links to some below.
Edinburgh Zoo – Edinburgh Castle – Royal Yacht Britannia – Camera Obscura – Royal Botanic Gardens
- Edinburgh – Inspiring Capital: to find out more about visiting Edinburgh including itineraries for short stays.
- Edinburgh Castle
- Edinburgh Zoo – How to visit Edinburgh Zoo from Craigwell Cottage – here are some pics on our Pinterest Edinburgh Zoo
- Dynamic Earth – one of many of our Things to do on a Short Break ideas
- Royal Yacht Britannia
- Royal Botanic Garden – visit our Pinterest Board for some ideas
- Edinburgh August Festivals – visit our Pinterest Board for some ideas
- Edinburgh’s Old Town and Royal Mile – lots to see and do here to keep you busy! Visit our Pinterest Board for some ideas.
- Edinburgh’s New Town – Georgian Architecture, interesting shopping, cafes, restaurants and more. Visit our Pinterest Board about the New Town of Edinburgh.
- We recommend Rabbie’s Highland Tours – daily departures from Edinburgh for small group tours.
- City Bus Tours and more about LothianBuses – Day Saver Tickets offer great value. Visit our Pinterest Board for more tours and transport options
- Coach trips to Stirling, The Trossachs and Loch Lomond
- Coach trips to Loch Ness
- Visiting Bookshops in Edinburgh – immersing yourself in the literary scene – more links on our Pinterest Boards about Robert Louis Stevenson andLiterary Edinburgh .
- Edinburgh Dungeon
- UGC Cinema, Bowling & Leisure Complex, Fountainbridge
- A tour to see Highland Games
- Princes Street Shopping and sightseeing – ideas from our Pinterest Board .
- Day Tours to The Borders – Walter Scott’s home Abbotsford is well worth a visit.
- Walk along the Water of Leith Walkway and visit the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
- Running the Edinburgh Marathon
- Running Edinburgh Triathlon
- Scottish Parliament Building
- Visiting our local chippie! That’s where you buy Fish and Chips near here.
- Open Golf at St Andrews
- Open Golf at Muirfield
- Climbing Arthur’s Seat and walking along Salisbury Crags
- Hogmanay in Edinburgh – fun and frolics to celebrate the end of the old year and the beginning of the new. Some ideas about what’s on at Hogmanay.
- Edinburgh’s Christmas Festivals
- Edinburgh Science Festival around Easter each year.
You can see a map of Edinburgh with Craigwell Cottage, Edinburgh Castle, Waverley Station and Holyrood Palace marked on it by following this link:Craigwell Cottage, Edinburgh